Sunday, March 4, 2007

Sunday, March 4, 2007



Today's rock stars are:

Se Ri Park, Professional Golfer
"The rise of the South Korean golfers...has usually been explained by citing two factors: the country's formidably driven parents, and the rock-star status of Se Ri Pak"
New York Times

Mike "The Math Dude" DeGraba, Teacher, Montgomery (MD) County High School
"'He's going to be a rock star,' said Erick Lang, acting associate superintendent for curriculum and instruction of Montgomery County public schools."
Washington Post

Yes, here it is, my all new daily blog! Moving from the comics page to the rest of the paper, I am now on the look-out for instances of the "Rock Star Metaphor"

Nearly everyday a newspaper dubs someone a "rock star" or grants someone "rock star status." Have you noticed this, too? Well, you will now. The rock star metaphor is everywhere. It's over-exposed and unwanted. It's the Kevin Federline of metaphors.

After his appearance at the Academy Awards last week, Al Gore is the current reigning rock star. In the coming year, I suspect Barack Obama will be our country's most cited rock star. We'll see.

I hope you stick around.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I finally found my way over to your new blog. Interesting! Certainly will miss your regular diatribe on the SPPs in the daily comics.

Careful! It should be noted as your previous oSession or what not instead of "obession."

If you ever make your way out to Tokyo, just let me know so I can be sure you are given the rock star treatment.

Anonymous said...

Excellent topic. Calling out a cliche like this is exactly what this country needs. Onward and upward!

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious! Glad to be mentioned in the same breaths as Barack Obama and KFed. I think...

Mike DeGraba