Monday, March 5, 2007

Monday, March 5, 2007



Todays rock stars are:

Barack Obama U.S. Senator, Illinois/U.S. Presidential Candidate
"Under the old system, Governor Mitt Romney wouldn't be running TV ads. Senator Barack Obama wouldn't be limited to repeating his one-act rock star routine over and over."
Boston Globe


Al Gore Former Vice-President, United States
"Through his environmental work and his Oscar-winning documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, he has transformed himself from an election glitch punchline to a global statesman with rock star status among the eco-hipster set."
Toronto Sun (and syndicated throughout Canada.)


Joel Zumaya Pitcher, Detroit Tigers
"The rock star of the Tigers' bullpen plans to turn down his amp this season."
Detroit Free Press


Chris Taylor Video game designer
"Chris Taylor is a rock star in the video game
industry."
San Jose (CA) Mercury News


Barack Obama picks up his second recorded rock star citing, but still trails Al Gore. At this moment, it seems that it is not possible to write about either one of these guys without calling him a rock star. My suggestion for a replacement: "WWE Superstar status."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I used the rock star metaphor in the 10th grade biology class I used to teach, my inner city students informed me that there are no more rock stars, and implied that I should have used "rap star" or a similar term. I have since seen the same argument made elsewhere (e.g. http://scienceblogs.com/gnxp/2006/08/thug_geneticist.php) Thus, I am comforted to learn that so many journalists are at least as out of the loop as I am.